Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Day 6 in the NICU

November 18, 2013
Shout out to my little brother, Happy Birthday!!

  Jefferson weighed in at 7lbs 13oz today! I love my little chunky monkey! 
It has been another roller coaster of a day.  It started off with getting poked again for more labs, and then he had to have a chest X-ray.  His poor left foot is black and blue from all the poking.  The other foot has the oximeter on it so it hasn't been poked as much.  They had suspected fluid in his lungs from the oxygen, so they wanted a X-ray to check.  Sure enough his sat levels were too high and were flooding his lungs being one of the reasons he is so tired all the time. 
   After several days of asking, Cardiology finally crossed the dreaded bridge to come see Jefferson.  (I say this because it's not like the Drs have to go outside or anything, they just have to walk to the building next door to see us and for some reason, that is just too hard for them).  I haven't seen a Cardiologist since his first day of life.  I was getting a little perturbed about it and I think the Nurses and Nurse practitioners were starting to realize how pissed I was.  How do you know how your patient is doing without physically seeing them.  The Drs and nurses here in the NICU have basically been waiting to see what cardiology says before doing anything. So frustrating!  
   Any ways, a different Cardioligist came and saw Jefferson today.  He suggested turning down his oxygen to 1/2 a liter (of output) instead of a liter.  Plus he suggested for his range to be 88-93 instead of 92-98.  So basically the fist cardiologist was pushing Jeffersons heart and pulmonary artery too hard by wanting his sats that high.  Good grief!!  They are going to do another X-ray in the morning to look at his lungs again.  If there is fluid in his lungs, then they will have to put him on a diuretic that will flush that out.  But it will screw up his electrolytes and other things that are perfect, by making him pee all the time.  I feel like it's just another set back to getting us home.  I keep getting more discouraged, but I know it's for the best. I just want him healthy!
   So we are optimistic and hoping for a better day tomorrow! 

His poor foot


I cannot get enough of the little guy!

2 comments:

Derk and Ashley said...

Oh Missy! He is just too precious for words. He has THE sweetest little face. This is just hitting to close to home. With having little Navy not much older than Jefferson, I just sit here and read this and cry. I just can't imagine how you must feel and your worry and heartache for both of your kids. You're such a good mom and such a good person. Hang in there. We love you guys and are praying for you all and that you can come home soon!

Just BriMarie said...

Love his cute smile. We ate at McDonald's the other day and they asked if we wanted to donate to the Ronald McDonald house. We put it in Jefferson's name