Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sedated Echo

We were scheduled to have a sedated echo on the 13th of March.  They needed him still so they could get good pictures for the surgery. 
  They called me the day before and told me not to feed him after 3am.  Since he sleeps through the night that meant he wouldn't get anything from about 11pm the night before till after he woke up from the echo.  So I did as they said and went in an hour before the scheduled echo so that they could sedate him. Once we got there and into the room, Jefferson was pissed. I tried everything to call him down but he was just so hungry.  
Finally the IV team came. He was already crying from being hungry then having his arm tied down just pissed him off more.  Then she poked him in both arms and couldn't get the iv set.  Then the other girl tried his foot. That's when I had to walk out.  I couldn't handle his screaming bloody murder while they wiggled and poked his little limbs.  


It was just me and Stella there, so I tried my hardest to try and be tough, but I couldn't, I broke down.  All I wanted to do was hold my baby and comfort him, but I couldn't do anything to help him.  I kissed him, held his hand, tried to console him but he was just pissed.  Finally after 3 attempts they backed off.  I understand the reasoning to make them fast, but if they are breasted babies, the milk is digested so much quicker than formula, so I don't understand why they need to make him fast for 7 hours.  I found out after the fact that when you are dehydrated your veins shrink.  So no duh it was hard for the IV team to get a needle in him they were just fishing around going right through his veins.
  The RN came in and I suggested to just let me feed him and then let him sleep on his own.  He has a routine in the mornings he wakes up, eats and then takes a nap for a hour or so.  She kept telling me, well if he's not still then we will have to reschedule another time for him to be sedated.  But she let me try it.  I know my baby and I knew he would pass out after I fed him.  He was exhausted from crying and just famished.  
   They took us back to the echo room and closed the curtain.  I nursed him and he passed out.  I set him on the table and let the lady do her job.  He jostled a little when she put the gel on him, but he went right back to sleep.  He slept through the whole thing!  The sonographer went and talked to Dr Pinto to see if she had scanned everything that needed to be scanned and she said Yup!!  That meant that we did not have to go back and try again! 


  Ugh it was horrible!  I know we will have to try the sedated echo again after his surgery, but man that sucked.  I felt a little bit better when they told me that they will give him gas to make him go to sleep before his surgery so they can put the IV in while he is asleep and not screaming.  Plus I won't be there for that part so hopefully it will be easier on both of us.  
Only a few more days till his surgery, I'm shaking just thinking about it.  I wish I could take a Xanax right about now! 
    On a brighter note, I finally got birth announcements made for Jefferson. They turned out pretty cute! 

No comments: